Visit, share memories, comment on plans towards the future of this historical local building!
Built in 1811, following plans by Joseph Medworth, as an Exchange Hall and Gentlemen’s Club, the Corn Exchange became home to Wisbech Town Council in 1835, where it remains resident to the present day.
In the latter years of the 20th century, the Corn Exchange became a regular place for public entertainment – from Shakespeare recitations to dancing, rollerskating, wrestling and bingo. Appearances by major figures in the 1960s include The Rolling Stones, Jerry Lee Lewis, Lulu, Tom Jones, Adam Faith, Frankie Vaughan and The Hollies. The Corn Exchange closed in the early 1990s after initial plans to change its use to a cinema were halted.
Take a look at our video from a previous HOD event in 2018:
This year the trust has commenced a Project Viability Assessment supported with financial assistance from The Architectural Heritage Fund, the first stage toward realising the objectives and aims of the trust.
Saturday 18th September: 10:00 to 16:00
Sunday 19th September: 10:00 to 16:00
Max 6 people per tour/session. 20 mins visits every twenty minutes from 10 am. Last visit at 4pm. Book on the day or just show up for the next time slot!
Masks should be worn for the safety of yourselves, other visitors and volunteer staff. Those who do not comply may be refused entry unless providing a valid exemption card. Masks available at the entrance. This event will run in line with local & national government guidelines at the time of the festival.
The Corn Exchange is located near the bridge opposite the Thomas Clarkson Memorial, on the North Brink prior to National Trust property Peckover House. Parking available by the riverside and in the Old Market.
Small steps into entrance. Wheelchair ramp available.
Wisbech Corn Exchange Conservation Trust